You’ve been planning a cross country trip this year on your motorcycle and you want to be prepared with the best gear. In fact, along your motorcycle, you are wondering what else you will require to make your trip comfortable and easy. So before you go shopping, here are a few tips that should prove helpful.
1. Helmets — Protection starts with helmets and you should invest in the best quality possible. You can choose from several varieties. For example, most riders prefer full face helmets as the offer the most protection. Open face helmets are great as well but they are going to work in case of full faceplant. Half helmets are not recommended at all as they offer the least protection. However, if you have no other type of helmet, you might as well wear it. Make sure the helmets are DOT certified. DOT certifies the helmets after dropping the helmet from a 6-foot height. This means that their helmets are safe and they offer the most protection. Make sure that the helmets are also vented and offer fog shields and chin vents.
2. Armored Jackets — There is no such thing as too much protection. Most bikers seem to prefer leather jackets but this should be your outer layer. It’s a far better to find armored riding attire to wear under the jacket. The armor may consist of memory foam, impact-resistant plastic, or foam armor. This also adds an additional layer of protection under your leather jacket. In case you have chosen a hot area for riding, it would be a good idea to find mesh jackets that can be worn on top of leather jackets or under them.
3. Gloves — Good gloves are absolutely essential to provide protection against the elements. Gloves are also your first line of defense during a motorcycle slip. This is because most people put out their hands to stop their fall and this can result in serious finger, hand and wrist injuries. Choose a glove that covers your hands up to the wrist. The gloves should be flexible but they should be weather-resistant
4. Boots – Quality boots should be comfortable and properly fitting. Look for weather-proof, water-proof, and well-ventilated boots to ensure comfort during long distance trips. Choose boots that cover the foot completely and extend up to the ankle and lower shin. This ensures impact protection and friction resistance during long rides. If you have chosen leather boots, the boots should be at least 2.5 millimeters thick for maximum wear and tear resistance. If you have synthetic boots, choose brands like Lorica which are lightweight, flexible and water-resistant.
5. Riding Jeans — You will find special leather riding jeans. These are designed to fit your body and provide maximum comfort while riding. Most versions are available in soft denim but some expensive versions are available in leather and denim, or smooth body fit leather as well.
6. Accessories — Apart from essential clothing, you will also require supportive gear like motorcycle panniers to hold your camping gear, clothing, food, communication equipment, backpacks, etc. These goods are always available at local stores or at motorcycle specialty websites. Make sure you pick the best equipment possible to resist the wear and tear.
Where To Buy Your Accessories?
When you buy your motorcycle accessories, you can always go online. However, we recommend you compare rates online and buy at a local store. By buying local, you can wear the clothing and shoes and make sure that it fits your body. Just make sure you invest in the best money can buy. Remember you cannot buy or repair clothing and shoes as you are traveling. Buying the best will ensure that your motorcycle accessories can keep up with the wear and tear and you will be utterly comfortable during your trip.